Total Pageviews

Monday 11 June 2012

I Wrestled A Bear Once - You Know That Ain't Them Dogs' Real Voices




Pick of the Week 5 - I Wrestled A Bear Once

There's never a bad time for a bit of genre-blurring screamo action and the Alabama based I Wrestled a Bear Once prove themselves to be an especially grizzled and chaotic bunch of noise merchants. There's more to the group than the racket however, with regular changes of tempo, snippets of harmonic crooning and odd references to other genres such rockabilly, electro and jazz. I found myself humming this, if that's possible, while brushing my teeth this morning, and that's no mean feat for a screamo record.

Quality song aside, questions need to be asked about the video. What the hell is going on? There's a wrestler, an evil clown, worm based pudding and lots of silly string. Throw in a deranged primary school head-teacher and it's not unlike the disturbing nightmares I have on a regular basis, admittedly without such a catchy soundtrack. Maybe it's me, but I'm not sure the plot holds together.

On the plus side, they're big mates with the excellent Dillinger Escape Plan and charismatic singer Krysta Cameron takes inspiration from quirky legend Bjork when attempting the more melodic aspects of the songs, which can only be a good thing. Daughter of DocCortex is quite keen that I should purchase one of their albums and I just may do that in the near future based on the power, attitude and all round quirksomeness of this song.


2 comments:

  1. Screamo bit: okayish. Melodic bit: far too pleasant and easy on the ear for my taste. It's bordering on prosumer screamo but not quite there. I agree about the video

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the melodic bit better than the screaming really.

    ReplyDelete