Total Pageviews

Wednesday 31 August 2011

Converge - Axe To Fall 2009

What is it?
This is the seventh album from the prolific Converge. Supposedly this is their most accessible album to date. I think I might have to have a dip in the more inaccessible regions of Converge soon.
Why should you listen?
You’ll know from hearing 10 seconds of this whether you’ll like it, or not. You’re hard pushed to hear any of the words through the gravelly shouting. That’s perfect for me. If you  like any metalcore then you’ll probably like this.
What’s it like?
I tend to listen to this album when I’m working. When I need to concentrate. It could be classed as easy listening for people who like this type of thing. There are no real standout tracks, except one, so it just washes over you in a pleasant excessive way. There’s nothing there to pull you out of the zone.
What’s the best track?
The final track does give you a break from boring work though. ‘Wretched World’ is slow. If there was a full album of this type of stuff, you’d get seriously sick of the gentle pace. But, and I can’t stress this enough, play this really loud and it’s a revelation. The track is pretty much four repetitions of a section of music that gradually increases in intensity for every repetition. By the end the overdriven guitar is so powerful that it sends a shiver down your spine. Great stuff. It’s worth listening to this one track, even if you don’t like the sound of the rest of the album.
Who does it sound like?
Every Time I Die, Coalesce, Hail of Bullets
evlkeith

No comments:

Post a Comment