Total Pageviews

Wednesday 20 June 2012

M.I.A. - Kala LP


What is it?
Maya Arulpragasam embraces hip hop, dance and world music in a hard to pin down mix of genre busting pop.

Why should you listen?

It's hard to describe this album. Is it Urban? Hip Hop? or World? It's probably fair to say M.I.A is possibly the best rapper we have in Britain, spicing things up with a whole host of world music references, from Bollywood to Africa to gunshot samples. Lots of gunshot samples. It's a powerful concoction of hooks, breaks and tough sounding male rap voices and if nothing else it's the 'streetest' thing I own by miles. Abandon all preconceptions, buy the CD, a baseball cap, grab some homies and enjoy.

What's it like?

It's like the Attack the Block in music form.

What's the best song?

"Jimmy" is a complete hip hop/Bollywood fusion camp fest.

Who does it sound like?

I know so little hip hop that I have few references. I like Public Enemy. Eric B and Rakin and Lootpack, but this doesn't sound like any of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment