Total Pageviews

Monday 11 March 2013

Ojos de Brujo - Bari


Despite the fact that everyone in the World music community loves Ojos de Brujo, I've never managed to engage with their flamenco based charms. I am not going to bore regular readers with my views on the band as they have remained unaltered from my original rant on the review of  Aocaná last year, but there is one startling difference about Bari; I actually really like one of the songs!

The curiously titled Ventilator R-80 is an exhilarating roller coaster ride through an alt-folk Spain. The chorus is an anthemic call to arms although with my limited knowledge of Spanish I have no idea what it means. The whole effect is not even spoiled by some Speedy Gonzales style vocals and some more Spanish Vanilla Ice style rapping. If I could loop just the chorus over and over again I'd be a happy man. Sadly the rest of the album reverts back to the Ojos formula, but let's not be greedy.

I'm sure Ojos de Brujo fans will love this collection of  nu-wave flamenco, but for me I'm just happy I can finally see a glimmer of the appeal. If you like Gloria Estefan with Speedy and a Spanish rapper on backing vocals then this is the album for you.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment