Total Pageviews

Thursday 5 June 2014

Ladytron – Witching Hour 2005

After buying their first album ‘604’ in 2001 I never returned to Ladytron until now, which is strange as I’ve always had a soft spot for them. For some reason I’ve gone out of sequence and bought 2005’s ‘Witching Hour’, but I’m so glad I did. This is a return to simpler more innocent times when a decent indie tune and a melodious voice was all I needed to be away with the fairies. It’s solid, but gorgeous unspectacular indie tinged with flecks of electronica and it’s like a breath of fresh air in 2014.


It’s an uncomplicated album, unfazed by fashion or expectations. Guitars, base and drums intertwine with subtle synth rhythms and the girls’ voices lash the whole thing together ribbons of pure digital clarity. There’s a nod to the old Russian influences on 604 but by and large this is indie music at its simplest and most organic.


‘High Rise’ will take most of the plaudits with its robust soundtrack complete with delicate vocal like a more accessible and direct version of My Bloody Valentine. It sets the tone for the rest of the album with its uncompromising beauty. ‘Destroy Everything You Touch’, ‘International Dateline’ and ‘AMTV’ are all worthy of a mention, but every track is a winner.



A great album from a great band rediscovered. Now to search out one of their other albums for next year. 


2 comments:

  1. It's great that you wrote an article about this amazing underrated band, Ladytron. However I don't agree with these things:

    1. That "Witching Hour" is an uncomplicated album. There are many layers of sounds, there are synths that sound like guitars and guitars that sound like synths, there are many sounds that I've never heard before. There are many interesting and complex production techniques. Its catchiness doesn't reflect simplicity in execution. Replace "uncomplicated" with "catchy" and you're right. This album is far more than a plain indie rock/synthpop album.

    2. That Witching Hour is "unspectacular indie". Come on... Tell me another album similar to this one. I don't think you can find a better electronic rock album in the whole 00s decade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I quite like this for its simple standard-issue indieness. It's okay.

    ReplyDelete