Total Pageviews

Sunday 15 May 2011

Portugal. The Man - Waiter: "You Vultures!" 2006


What is it?
The first album by Portugal. The Man. Originally from Alaska and now on their seventh album. So if you like this album there’s plenty more to go at.

Why should you listen?
If Mars Volta is a step too far for you, try this. It’s fairly accessible, without being catchy. Always good. I was slightly worried when I got it on the Friday and by Sunday I quite liked it. It normally takes me a good week to get into an album. That normally makes me think that I’ll be sick of it in a couple of weeks, but it’s still going strong at the moment.

What’s it like?
It has some of the Mars Volta elements but in a far easier to digest package. Falsetto voices, extra tremolo on the guitar, twiddly fiddly guitar all rear their heads at some point on this album. The first two songs: ‘How The Leopard Got Its Spots’ and ‘Gold Fronts’ are the first ones I got into. They’re both danceable little numbers. Later on I’ve appreciated ‘Chicago’ more. It starts with a quality bit of noisy business but then morphs into something a lot more melodic and gentle. I normally like the opposite of that but it still works.

What’s the best track?
‘Tommy’ - Bleepy and bloopy sounds to start. Doesn’t sound great really. Then the main guitar chords crunch in and you’re into a sing-a-long chorus with a gorgeous vocal harmony at the end.

Who does it sound like?
The Sounds Of Animals Fighting, Mars Volta, The Fall of Troy
evlkeith

No comments:

Post a Comment