Total Pageviews

Saturday 9 July 2011

Ojos de Brujo - Aocana LP 2009


What is it?
Bacelona based nine piece band Ojos de Brujo combine flamenco, world music and hip hop in an allegedly engaging fusion of styles.

Why should you listen?
Is it just me or are Ojos de Brujo extremely hard work to get in to? All the elements are present to make it something I should instantly like; there's critical acclaim and a general reverence from the world music community, but to be honest I'm just not feeling it. For starters the elements of flamenco seem watered down and lacking in passion, but having said that the castanets are great and the best bit of the whole album. The odd hip hop reference is also luke warm in a middle aged rapper style and sounds more like the Stereo MC's than Lootpack. I'm disappointed really as I thought I'd love the group, but I can't help thinking it's more like a Spanish version of 80's jazz funk stalwarts Shakatak, which incidentally I much prefer. It all goes to show that just because it's labelled world music it's not a guarantee of quality, but maybe I should have gone with 'Bari' as an introduction to the band.  

What's it like?
World music for soulless, middle class people who don't really like music.

What's the best song?
'Tantas Flores' is fairly standard issue but has some great wailing/yodelling to open proceedings. The whole album could do with more yodelling to be honest. 

Who does it sound like?
They are unique in my experience, but as already stated sound uncomfortably like Shakatak.


No comments:

Post a Comment