Total Pageviews

Wednesday 14 September 2011

Asa - Beautiful Imperfection LP 2010


Pronounced 'Asha,' the French/Nigerian singer songwriter came recommended as a hybrid of Erykah Badu and Angelique Kidjo. Sadly the whole album does nothing for me. For a World music album this could not be a more sugary sweet pop if it tried and as such it's just completely out of my zone of enjoyment.

It sounds uncannily like 'Trick Me' by Kelis with just a touch of Amy Winehouse thrown in for good measure. I quite like 'Be My Man' but again it ends up sounding like Kelis, and you can imagine Alesha Dixon doing a cover of it and making some awful ballroom dancing based video. The songs where she doesn't sing in English are marginally more engaging, but not much.

I'm sure it's great really and I quite like the cover and the title. But it's really not my cup of tea.



No comments:

Post a Comment