Total Pageviews

Tuesday 31 January 2012

50. The Magnetic Fields - I Don't Really Love You Anymore



 It's always tricky to pick the final selection in any Festive Fifty style chart. It's the last chance alley for inclusion and it's sometimes difficult to know where to draw the line. I'd whittled my list down to The Pixies, The Specials, Floorshow and the Magnetic Fields for that all important last slot on the chart and finally decided to plump for Stephin Merritt's merry band based on the need for some serious cello action.

Strangley, I haven't liked any other Magnetic Fields albums apart from 2004's 'i' which showcased Merritt's extraordinary song-writing talents in a less contrived and more low key bunch of songs. 'I Don't Really Love You Anymore' is a string driven romp with trademark leftfield lyrics and a jaunty little rhythm that bobs along like a balloon in a gale force wind. I played the whole album over and over, but this track just stuck in my mind for some reason and is a worthy starting point in my all time chart.

I doubt this is the official video, but I love the dancing!

No comments:

Post a Comment