Total Pageviews

Saturday 14 January 2012

Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds LP 2011



Not all wilfully obscure stuff...


It's a bit mainstream I know, but Oasis are little guilty pleasure and I thought I'd give Noel a chance as the existing reviews are hardly sparkling. This is allegedly Noel branching out and breaking away from his more offensive little brother, but at the end of the day it sounds like Oasis, or at least all the Oasis songs that Noel sings on. However this is no bad thing, and a 'Style Council' issue is easily avoided.

I'm afraid this is going to be one of those reviews where I have to say 'If you like Oasis, you'll like this.' It's not as good as the best Oasis albums, but it's better than the worst. It's consistently above average, with the standout tracks; '(Stranded on) The Wrong Beach', 'What a Life' and 'Broken Arrow'.

It all sounds like I'm damming the album with feint praise, but the whole experience is more enjoyable than that. It's reminiscent of 'The Masterplan' in both atmosphere and in the expectation levels before purchase. Don't expect anything vastly different and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment