Total Pageviews

Sunday 12 February 2012

38. Big Stick - On the Road Again



When John Peel played this in his 1992 Festive Fifty he stated that the band were called Drag Racing Underground. After much detective work, I've discovered it was actually by nineties alternative rockers Big Stick, with the song possibly part of the Drag Racing Underground LP.

Whoever made it, it's one of the few songs that I can 'remember' in it's entirety and listen to in my head without the need for an MP3 or a walkman. A homage to the world of trucking, it begins in standard-ish alternative rock style, but then descends into a strange conversation between a trucker and a diner waitress. It's pure poetry with every word in every line delivered perfectly. Where did they get their voices?

In all charts like this there's a comedy number and I guess this is mine. It's makes me laugh every time I listen to it, but it's there on merit. Check out some of Big Stick's other numbers; they were definitely under-rated. 'Well what else is new baby, that's trucking!'

No comments:

Post a Comment