Total Pageviews

Friday 3 February 2012

47. Aphex Twin - Vordhosbn 2001



Five minutes of madness from the master of ambient techno Richard James. I have to admit that although I've listened to a lot of the Aphex Twin, I'm not a massive fan. It's all a bit too dense, noodle-doodley synthesiser based pointlessness for me. However the Drukqs album was a work of genius, combining the obligatory muso noodling with hints of melodies and some beautiful piano, creating an atmosphere akin to something Brian Eno would be proud of.

Apparently Richard James has penned a load of commercial dance hits for other artists and I've always been interested in finding out what they were; hopefully 'Saturday Night' by Whigfield, but I guess we'll never know. 'Vordhosbn' meanwhile, is a dark, brooding concoction of drum and base, piano and general jerkiness, that sounds like the 'future music' played by Michael Caine's old hippy character in Children of Men. It may not be the sound of the future anymore, but it's accessible, soulful and at times beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment