Total Pageviews

Friday 17 January 2014

Doccortex’s Festive 50 2013 (50-41)

50. The Subways – Turnaround


Just sneaked into the 50 because of Charlotte's enthusiastic vocals.

49. Of Monsters and Men – Little Talks

The acceptable face of Scandinavian folk music, but too close to Mumford and Sons for comfort.

48. Django Django – Hail Bop

Beach Boys-esque fun from London based art rock outfit. Great ending!

47. Josef Locke – Hear my Song

A blast from the past from the legendary Irish tenor.

46. Annlaug – Ord Som Fell

Easily the least dirgy of the offerings on the album. A great Scandinavian folk song.

45. Deladap – Golden Swing

Hot Balkan club action from Beginner’s Guide to eastern Europe. Should have been higher?

44. FOKN Bois - Gimme Pinch

Hip Hop returns for the first time since 2007 with this South African ditty.

43. The Names – Spectators of Life

Best track on the B9 Bis; Belgian Cold Wave compilation.

42. Ferhill – Wasod


Stark, beautiful folk music from the excellent Wales Welcomes Womad compilation.

41. Karine Palwart – King of Birds

Atmospheric and timeless folk tune that reminds me of Kate Bush.

4 comments:

  1. I think I need to give Of Monsters and Men a second chance, for some reason I didn't get into their music initially, yet each time I hear a song by them now I'm all ears :)
    I just heard another track by them (Dirty Paws) feat. in the movie Secret Life of Walter Mitty,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have under rated them a little but their a bit too 'mainstream' for my tastes. I'll give 'Dirty Paws' a listen and it could well change my mind.

    Nice to see you're back in the world of blogging btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they're not their - past my bedtime sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here we go then with my ratings on these ditties:
    The Subways - quality Parappa the Rapper ending - 5/10
    Of Monsters and Men - way too catchy - 3/10
    Django Django - like this one, agree with you that the ending is the best bit - 6/10
    Josef Locke - been wanting to get into some old music from the thirties and forties so this was a very welcome entry - 6/10
    Annlaug - okay I guess - 4/10
    Deladap - sounds like Basement Jaxx - 5/10
    FOKN Bois - another one I like - 6/10
    The Names - the lady singer spoils a perfectly good song - 3/10
    Ferhill - very pleasant this one - 7/10
    Karine Palwart - another that's okay but not my favourite 4/10

    So if we take anything rated at 5 or above that gives you 6 likes for this first ten. Don't get giddy though, the next ten doesn't fare as well...

    ReplyDelete