Total Pageviews

Sunday 4 December 2011

Elliott Smith - From a Basement on a Hill LP 2004


I really liked Elliott's 2004 album 'Figure 8' and was hoping for more of the same from 'A Basement on a Hill', but for whatever reason I'm not as impressed. Don't get me wrong, there is some inspired song writing throughout, but there just seems to be a lack of a spark in this selection.

The guitar is fragile, the vocals are subdued and reedy and the production decidedly lo-fi, but that's basically the sound of Elliott Smith. The songs that have stuck in my brain in 'earworm' fashion are the haunting fragility of 'Twilight', the jangling 'Pretty (ugly before),  and more haunting fragility from 'Let's Get Lost'.

If you like Elliott Smith or you have a secret liking for hauntingly fragile indie-folk then this is the perfect CD for you. If you like anything harder than Belle and Sebastian then I'd look elsewhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment