Total Pageviews

Tuesday 7 February 2012

43. New Order - Sub-Culture



'Blue Monday' by New Order changed everything. I'd taped it from the Peel show and it was like nothing I'd ever heard before; like some strange hybrid of Gary Numan synthesisers and traditional indie. After dismissing Joy Division as 'boring', I decided New Order were the future and something I needed to take seriously.

My first proper purchase as I received my Polytechnic grant money was the cassette version of Low-Life. It came in a dinky cardboard presentation case with some black and white photos of the band, and it was an essential purchase for student life at the time. 'Sub-culture' brings back all the memories of that time; the cold, eating soup and Thatcher's Britain. And with limited access to music at the time we played it to death.

For me, New Order never quite fulfilled their potential and made that perfect album, but 'Low-Life' was as close as they came, possibly with the exception of the under-rated 'Waiting for the Siren's Call'. So let 'Sub-Culture' take you back to the eighties; for the perfect nostalgic listening experience, turn off the central heating, mix up some Florida Spring Vegetable soup to ward off scurvy and wash it down with a bottle of Pomagne.

No comments:

Post a Comment